Saturday, March 3, 2007


Orange: I'm not quite certain if this journal quilt is totally finished but will try to squeeze it in yet for artwords whose theme for this week has been poetry. Though some of the words to "what a wonderful world" are on the quilt I was spending a lot of time thinking about the poem I wrote called "Orange" as I was making it.
The photos are of my Dad, my Mom and brother, and then my brother and me. Family is very important to me, for those of you not yet aware of that. Though I grew up with "Orange", I never would have been able to get to the place I am without the love and support of my wonderful family.


When I was a child
With diabetes,
I grew to hate
The colour orange.
The sugar in my body
Needed testing.
Orange
Meant sugar,
Too much Sugar.

And now -
I envision lines,
And lines,
And lines,
In the record book,
Lines of orange.

As a child with Diabetes
What
Went through my mind
About these lines of orange
In the Record Book?
They were always present.

I probably did not even recognize
Any interspersal of beautiful blue,
Or calming green.
Striving For perfection?
Who Me?
Striving to erase all those lines,
Of orange,
Which could never
Be erased.
Striving to erase the lines
Of imperfection
Which would be
Forever
Part of me.

Today -
I can truly appreciate
The colour orange.
Now I understand
It represents joy.
I work towards Joy.
I strive for it.
I strive
For more imperfection.
The striving
Is not easy.

Forever will live in me -
Those lines and lines
Of the colour orange.


3 comments:

BlueJude said...

This is sooo beautiful Windy! Thanks for sharing!

suzie q said...

Oh My, Wendy! You have these fabric journal pages off to a fine art already! I LOVE this one, and the photo's of your family. It agonises me that I can no longer print anything, I have to make on of those wish jars for myself and put a printer in there quick! ;)
Seriously, this is beautiful work, Wendy. You are coming through this winter in a way that you can be so very proud of. Beautiful creations, and of course, the poetry. This, to me, is your signature poem. I love it, and you xXx
Huge congratulatory hugs, my darling. ((((((xXx))))))

Barbara said...

for a long time i read your poetry. And now i have a blog for myselve with my own poetry and creativity. thanks for inspirations barbara

Read the Printed Word!
Wendy's bookshelf: read

Exhibition 36: A Gallery Of Mixed-Media InspirationOne Week In DecemberWhat Matters MostCloud NineSafe HarbourFollow the Stars Home

More of Wendy's books »
Wendy Burton's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

my flickriver

Windy Angels - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Blog Archive

Labels

succulent living with SARK

My "wonders of winterland"blog:

Popular Posts