Monday, August 28, 2006

"Take Joy" ~ This morning I was thinking about JOY and one of my favourite quotations came to mind. I first saw this wonderful piece by Fra Giovanni in the the Tasha Tudor Christmas Book Take Joy!
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?&isbn=0529049627&nsa=1
http://www.tashatudorandfamily.com/
I was so very touched by the words. I decided to include them in my Christmas cards. A few years later I read the piece again for a children's Christmas concert. Now I would like to share them with you. Though written in 1513 I feel they hold much truth.

Letter Written by Fra Giovanni

Fra Giovanni, 1513

I am your friend and my love for you goes deep.
There is nothing I can give you which you have not
got, but there is much, very much, that, while I
cannot give it, you can take.

No heaven can come to us unless our hearts find
rest in today. Take heaven!

No peace lies in the future which is not hidden in
this present little instant. Take peace!

The gloom of the world is but a shadow. Behind it,
yet within our reach is joy. There is radiance and
glory in the darkness could we but see - and to see
we have only to look. I beseech you to look!

Life is so generous a giver, but we, judging its
gifts by the covering, cast them away as ugly,
or heavy or hard. Remove the covering and you
will find beneath it a living splendor, woven of
love, by wisdom, with power.

Welcome it, grasp it, touch the angel's hand that
brings it to you. Everything we call a trial, a
sorrow, or a duty, believe me, that angel's hand
is there, the gift is there, and the wonder of an
overshadowing presence. Our joys, too, be not
content with them as joys. They, too, conceal
diviner gifts.

Life is so full of meaning and purpose, so full of
beauty - beneath its covering - that you will find
earth but cloaks your heaven.

Courage, then, to claim it, that is all. But courage
you have, and the knowledge that we are all pilgrims
together, wending through unknown country, home.

And so, at this time, I greet you. Not quite as the
world sends greetings, but with profound esteem
and with the prayer that for you now and forever,
the day breaks, and the shadows flee away.

5 comments:

Nancy Baumiller said...

Ohhhhhhh! I have never heard this! This is so beautiful! So much truth in every word! I believe that, in the shadow of our trials there is a joy to be had after the shadow has passed...Our trials is Gods way of testing us...we are all stronger than we think...it brings out our courage and strength to get through the toughest times...so as not to look at a cloud of doom as a bad thing.. but that cloud beckons us to find the joy in it. It is there to be found, for us to seek the truth and the joy.
Thank you so much for sharing this with us Terri! Much love and hugs!

Nancy Baumiller said...

Whoops sorry Wendy...I typed Terri by accident...I had just visited her blog previous to yours...I was on my morning blog path so please forgive! :D *crawls under her desk with a red face* *and heads for the coffee pot* goodness me.

Suzie Q said...

Nearly 500 years old and those words are so very apt for our times...incredible! Thank you so much for sharing them with us, Wendy. Absolutely beautiful...

xXx

windy angels said...

Yes, I love these words. Thanks Karen, I mean Nance;o)I noticed you called Terri Wendy one time also. Doesn't matter. We LOVE you for keeping in touch. I often get called Karen ~ funny, that's the name my parents were going to give me. People often call me by my daughter's name also. She's more extroverted while I'm more introverted. Not sure if that's why. Need to stop blabbing.
I want to try watercolours today. I don't have a clue so have gone on-line to get lessons. I think it should be easier to learn on-line than knitting! It worked actually. I just need to practice.

xXx

Nancy Baumiller said...

hehehe! Ahh we are only human! Good thing friends are so forgiving! :D Well bless you! You have a wonderful time learning and playing today! :)

Read the Printed Word!
Wendy's bookshelf: read

Exhibition 36: A Gallery Of Mixed-Media InspirationOne Week In DecemberWhat Matters MostCloud NineSafe HarbourFollow the Stars Home

More of Wendy's books »
Wendy Burton's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

my flickriver

Windy Angels - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Blog Archive

Labels

succulent living with SARK

My "wonders of winterland"blog:

Popular Posts