Sunday, March 30, 2008

canvases and plans:

canvas background WIP

Above is a photo of a canvas I started working on last Friday night. It measures 16 x 20 inches. I want to put some words on it and more texturing before I put a person on, blah, blah, blah.




Last Friday I purchased this book by Claudine Hellmuth. I got it at the arts and crafts store, you know the one I mean, in Saskatoon with my 40% off coupon.



I had borrowed Claudine's more recent book from the library. They actually brought it all the way from Nova Scotia to Humboldt, Saskatchewan for little old me. I was impressed. But I had to return it after only three weeks. :(
I would have liked to purchase that book, but of course they wouldn't have it at Michael's yet.

That's OK. I'm really impressed with the book I purchased. It has in one book lots of techniques which I've been trying to learn from Cloth, Paper, Scissors magazines and online, from videos and tutorials. I've been really chomping at the bit to try some encaustic work - with melted wax that is. A time ago I was thinking I had a small crock pot for melting the wax. Uh whoops - it's a fondue maker - getting my utensils muddled. I asked Greg to look for one for me when he was taking stuff from the house in Regina and the farm to Value Village but he didn't see one in the quick glance he made. Patience, patience Wendy. I was thinking yesterday of trying to melt some tiny bit of wax in the microwave but no, no, no google search says DO NOT. I really must have melted wax on this canvas. Oh well. I don't have the mini iron yet either. Wednesday - back to that arts and crafts store for another week's 40% off coupon.

Here are a couple more of the canvases I started. They are a bit smaller - 8 x 10 inches and 5 x 7 inches, I think. I won't take time to run downstairs now to measure.

These are more textured but I'm not certain of the colours.

Other than gel medium I don't have a lot of Golden products and I know they are recommended. Some day after I've sold lots of my art I'll be able to afford more of those beloved Golden products. Wait a minute - I think I did buy one tube of Golden paint the last time I was at Art Placement. With all the moving and organizing and phewph - busyness - I totally forgot. Next time.
I love the creations of Misty Mawn whose original texturing I encountered in probably the very first Cloth, Paper, Scissors magazine I purchased. Someday between Misty Mawn's teaching, suziblu"s most recent video and the techniques in the book I purchased, I might even learn how to do transfers.

ANGELS BE WITH YOU

6 comments:

Tyn said...

have you checked local thrift stores for an old crock pot? I got one at Goodwill for $2.00. Good luck!!

windy angels said...

Thanks Tyn, exactly my plan. The place I mentioned called Value Village is like a thrift shop. We have a local one that's huge. They accept any items for sale that people don't want to sell themselves. At Value Village AND the local one, all money made goes back to charities.
We don't really have "thrift shops" here like in the states and some other parts of Canada.

KarenHarveyCox said...

Speaking of unforgettable, how are you? I got your gorgeous BLUE package. It arrived safely and you know what....when I was little my mother would wrap my cookies in a napkin when I went to school or if I went out to play. Later I would always think anything wrapped in a napkin make it seem like it was wrapped in love. Your cards are beautiful!

Speaking of Claudine Helmuth...I love that girl. You know there are some videos on you tube by her. If you have never seen her in person she is on the videos there and at Martha Stewart.com because she was on her show teaching Martha about her poppets.

Ah, the joy of having a kindred spirit who loves the same people and wraps your things with love in a napkin.

Have a wonderful day.

Blessings, Karen

suesviews said...

lol :D what a lovely place this is to be!
happy to be amongst friends, and surrounded by such inspirational creativity :) I keep looking for Golden Gel Medium, but haven't found it yet. The pots I get are tiny and I want to buy in bulk! Too heavy for international postage - I'll have to come over & fetch some ;) I have only ever been unsuccessful with transfers so far, but it is something I long to play with. Can't wait to see what happens with yours, dear Angel!
I am exhausted just reading about all the work you've been doing and am sending you restful, peaceful, comfortingly creative vibes...
Love you,
Suze xXx

windy angels said...

Thanks Karen. I'm so glad the package arrived safely. Isn't it amazing how God provides for us little surprises, like a package wrapped in love, when we are totally not expecting it. And I wipe away the tears. I feel so blessed to have friends like you and to know the wonders of God.

Yes, I knew Claudine had some videos from the Martha show. I hadn't taken time to check you-tube. I'm into multi-tasking so watched a couple from you-tube at my computer while I was eating breakfast this morning :D She seems a great lady.

angels be with you dear,
Wendy

windy angels said...

Thanks so much beautiful angel Suze for taking time to comment & visit. I'm almost at a loss of where to begin with the creating now that I have a few moments again.

I tried another transfer method yesterday with no success but I wasn't using the right caulking compound lol I got the right product today and will try again later, I hope. Probably won't be able to show anything till
late tomorrow or Thursday as it needs 24 hours to dry AND I've an appointment in Saskatoon again tomorrow. I do hope to post again later though with some more WIPs and some still life photos inspired by the wonderful Karen :D

Angels be with you beautiful one.
Much love,
Wendy XO

Read the Printed Word!
Wendy's bookshelf: read

Exhibition 36: A Gallery Of Mixed-Media InspirationOne Week In DecemberWhat Matters MostCloud NineSafe HarbourFollow the Stars Home

More of Wendy's books »
Wendy Burton's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

my flickriver

Windy Angels - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Blog Archive

Labels

succulent living with SARK

My "wonders of winterland"blog:

Popular Posts